Catalogue of birds in study collection
Scope and Contents
Catalogue of birds in the study collection at the American Museum of Natural History. Catalogue entries for each bird include museum number, original number, name, sex, date, locality, name of collector, name of donor, dimensions, and remarks. The catalogue spans 47 volumes.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed in the Department of Ornithology. Please contact the collection manager for access; materials are sometimes restricted. https://www.amnh.org/research/vertebrate-zoology/ornithology
11.3 Linear Feet (47 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
American Museum of Natural History, Department of Ornithology (Volumes 1-26, 41-47). Volumes 27-40 are referred to as the Rothschild collection and were a Whitney gift.
Volume 5 and 6 are missing as of 9/29/2011; as of 3/1/2017, volumes 5 and 6 are extant, volume 47 is missing.
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Ornithology (Organization)
- Rothschild, Lionel Walter Rothschild, Baron, 1868-1937 (Former owner, Person)
- Catalogue of birds in study collection, 1870s-2011
- Rebecca Morgan, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017). Minimal level collection record created with support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Risk Assessment grant, 2010.
Part of the Department of Ornithology Archives Repository
Division of Vertebrate Zoology
Department of Ornithology
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York NY 10024-5192 US