Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Portrait bust of Albert Bickmore, AMNH founder and museum educator. Inscription: Extensive on plaque.
Contains two letters from S.R. Stoddard, publisher of photographs, guide books, and art of the Adirondacks and northern New York State, to A.S. Bickmore. Letters contain lists of images that were requested by Bickmore for which publisher states he will provide negatives. Letters are annotated with locations and numbers. Bickmore may have used these images for lantern slide lectures.
An autobiography, with a historical sketch of the founding and early development of the American Museum of Natural History : [microform] / by Albert S. Bickmore.
Slides for Nina J. Root's lecture titled "Architecture for Dinosaurs" 1992. Covers the American Museum of Natural History's first home in the Central Park Arsenal through the various reconstruction and restorations of the building and exhibit halls.
Original photograph of the old Agassiz Museum building and a "letter-press description" of the Museum from 1907, with an accompanying letter signed by F.W. Putnam to Albert Bickmore dated Feb. 17, 1910 regarding the old Agassiz Museum building, from the Peabody Museum of Harvard University.
The collection consists entirely of photocopies of handwritten letters. The first letter, dated May 17, 1883, is from Albert S. Bickmore, founder and superintendent of the AMNH, concerning Mearns's proposed donation of a collection of birds. The second letter is from curator J.A. Allen, discussing details of the specimens. Other correspondents include James P. Chapin, Frank M. Chapman, L.P. Gratacap, C. Hart Merriam, Jenness Richardson and Anthony Woodward.
Portraits of scientits that were used in the following publications: Origins and Development of North American Avian Biogeography, p. 392; Contributions to the History of North American Ornithology, pp.387-428.
- Names: Bickmore, Albert S. (Albert Smith), 1839-1914 X
- Archives Microfilm 2
- Department Records 2
- Manuscript Collection 2
- Photographic Print Collection 2
- Ainu 1
- Art Survey 1
- Audio-visual education -- New York (State) -- New York. 1
- Birds -- Catalogs and collections -- New York (State) -- New York. 1
- Correspondence 1
- East Asia -- Description and travel 1
- Gilyaks. 1
- Indonesia -- Description and travel. 1
- Museum architecture -- New York (State) -- New York -- History 1
- Museum curators -- New York (State) -- New York -- Biography. 1
- Museums -- Educational aspects -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- Sources. 1
- Natural history -- Study and teaching -- New York (State) -- New York. 1
- Natural history museums -- Educational aspects 1
- Natural history museums -- New York (State) -- New York -- History 1
- Natural history museums -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- Sources. 1
- Natural history. 1
- Naturalists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Ornithologists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Photographic Slide Collection 1
- Portraits 1
- Zoologists -- United States -- Correspondence 1 ∧ less
- American Museum of Natural History 5
- Agassiz, Louis, 1807-1873 2
- Allen, J. A. (Joel Asaph), 1838-1921 2
- Chapman, Frank M. (Frank Michler), 1864-1945 2
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Education 1
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Mammalogy 1
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Ornithology 1
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Public Instruction 1
- American Museum of Natural History. Photo Studio 1
- Chapin, James Paul, 1889-1964 1
- Couper, William, 1853-1942 1
- Gratacap, L. P. (Louis Pope), 1851-1917 1
- Griscom, Ludlow, 1890-1959 1
- Mayr, Ernst, 1904-2005 1
- Mearns, Edgar Alexander, 1856-1916 1
- Merriam, C. Hart (Clinton Hart), 1855-1942 1
- Putnam, F. W. (Frederic Ward), 1839-1915 1
- Richardson, Jenness 1
- Root, Nina J. 1
- Stoddard, Seneca Ray, 1844-1917 1
- Woodward, Anthony, d. 1915 1 ∧ less