R. C. Murphy collection
Scope and Contents
Biographical information, expedition materials, publications, employment and educational records, photographs, Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum materials, newspaper clippings, lectures and talks, bibliographies, manuscripts, field catalog, journals from expeditions in Long Island, Peru, New Zealand, Antarctica, Australia, Bermuda, Caribbean Islands, Venezuela, Bahamas, the Low Country, Pacific coast of Colombia, book on oceanic birds of South America. Murphy petrel manuscript and research includes handwritten and typescript notes relating to the forms and behavior of Petrels on the world's oceans. Includes some photographs in transparent sleeves, drawings, maps, letters from ship's Captain W.F.J. Morzer Bruyns' "Observations of Oceanic Birds" sent to Dr. R. C. Murphy at AMNH.
- circa 1910-1970s
- Murphy, Robert Cushman, 1887-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed in the Department of Ornithology. Please contact the collection manager for access; materials are sometimes restricted. https://www.amnh.org/research/vertebrate-zoology/ornithology
8.34 Linear Feet (2 paige boxes, 4 manuscript boxes 5 oversized encousures and 15 volumes)
Language of Materials
Petrel Manuscript is arranged alphabetically by bird.
- R. C. Murphy collection, circa 1910-1970s
- Rebecca Morgan, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017). Minimal level collection record created with support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Risk Assessment grant, 2010.
Part of the Department of Ornithology Archives Repository
Division of Vertebrate Zoology
Department of Ornithology
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York NY 10024-5192 US