1 Linear Feet (ca. 40 items : maps ; 34 cm. or smaller.,)
Language of Materials
Location of Originals Note
Indicator 1 Holder of originals: American Museum of Natural History. Dept. of Anthropology.
Notebooks and papers written by Nicollet mainly during the 1838 expedition he led for the U.S. Corps of Topographical Engineers in the Upper Mississippi River region, especially the Minnesota and upper Missouri Rivers in Minnesota and South Dakota. Most of the notes were assembled for his map entitled "Hydrographical basin of the upper Mississippi River.." (1843), and for a grammar and dictionaries of both the Chippewa and Dakota languages; the latter consist of extensive lists of aboriginal names and phrases with their French or English equivalents. The collection also includes "Quelques notes en montant la Rivière St. Pierre en 1838" the only account of the beginning of that expedition, later recorded in journals, and "Division de la Nation Titons" written in June 1839 while Nicollet was in Fort Pierre, as well as a few letters addressed to him. (For detailed contents, see description included with the collection.)
Mostly in French.
Probably written in 1838 (with one item, cited above, written in 1939), although most items are undated.
Original in the AMNH Dept. of Anthropology. Other Nicollet papers are part of the New-York Historical Society's Albert Gallatin papers and the Library of Congress's Henry R. Schoolcraft papers.
Type of reproduction--Microfilm.; Place of reproduction--[New York, N.Y. :; Agency responsible for reproduction--American Museum of Natural History: Date of reproduction--1987]. Physical description of reproduction--1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
- Archives Microfilm
- Dakota language.
- Indians of North America -- Minnesota -- Social life and customs.
- Indians of North America -- South Dakota -- Social life and customs.
- Minnesota -- Description and travel.
- Mississippi River Watershed -- Discovery and exploration.
- Ojibwa language.
- South Dakota -- Description and travel.
- United States. Army. Corps of Topographical Engineers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017).