Hayden Planetarium. Main Lobby
- authorized form
- Hayden Planetarium. Main Lobby
- uncontrolled form
- Hayden Planetarium Main Lobby
dates of use: 1993
1935 - 1997
Biographical or Historical Note
- Permanent exhibition. Opened October 3, 1935 and closed January 5, 1997. Located on Floor 1, Section 18. The Main Lobby of
the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History was located at the main entrance at 81st Street and Central
Park West. It featured The Sun God Pursues the Moon Goddess Across the Sky, a mural painted by artist Charles Knight, as well
as the Woman Meteorite, on view in the 1930s. The Woman is part of the Cape York Meteorite, and is now exhibited in the Arthur
Ross Hall of Meteorites (1, 1939, p. 21; 2; 3). In 1955-1957, the Viking Rocket was exhibited at the main entrance (1, 1956,
For additional related resources and information see Relations.
(1) American Museum of Natural History. General Guide [to the Exhibition Halls of] the American Museum of Natural History.
New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1939-1956.
(2) American Museum of Natural History. Research Library Digital Special Collections, The Woman meteorite, first floor corridor,
Hayden Planetarium, 1936, accessed June 21, 2017, http://lbry-web-007.amnh.org/digital/admin/items/show/45099
(3) American Museum of Natural History, Fragments of Cape York, accessed July 28, 2017, http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent-exhibitions/earth-and-planetary-sciences-halls/arthur-ross-hall-of-meteorites/meteorites/fragments-of-cape-york/woman.
(4) Neil de Grasse Tyson to the Museum Community "Closing of the Planetarium", January 2, 1997.
Information for the hall appears in the following Museum publications:
American Museum of Natural History Annual Report 1993 (page 24).
General Guides 1936 (page 19); 1939 (page 21); 1943 (page 21); 1945 (page 21); 1947 (?); 1949 (page 21); 1953 (page 35-40);
1956 (page 43-44); 1956 (page 43-44); 1962 (page 22-23); 1964 (page 22-23)
- New York
AMNH: Floor 1, Section 18.
Clare O'DowdLast modified:
2018 December 7
Content negotiation supports the following types: