Reconstruction of the history of the Hyde Exploring Expeditions has been an iterative process. In 1909, the museum launched the Huntington Southwest Survey to develop a timeline of human habitation of the Southwest, building and verifying discoveries by the Hyde Expeditions. In 1916, the museum’s Curator of Ethnology, Pliny Goddard, wrote to Clayton Wetherill to ask for help interpreting his brother’s catalogue references to locate caves and rooms referred to by numbers.
In 1920, the Cartier Expedition led by Nels C. Nelson, Curator of North American Archaeology, accompanied by B.T.B. Hyde, went to Grand Gulch in an attempt to identify the particular cliff-houses and canyons from which the museum’s collection was taken. Annual Report 52 for the year 1920 states: “Completion of the reports of the Hyde explorations on the Pueblo Bonito between 1895 and 1900 has been rendered possible through two years’ special labor of Mr. B. Talbot B. Hyde of this Museum, who was the chief donor, and the active cooperation of Mr. George H. Pepper of the Museum of the American Indian, who was in charge of the excavations.”
Content negotiation supports the following types: