Naturalist and paleontologist, member of the National Academy of Science, professor of zoology and comparative anatomy.
3 boxes (636 items in 12 folders) : (3 boxes (636 items in 12 folders) : ill. ;, 27 x 32 cm.)
Language of Materials
Location of Originals Note
Indicator 1 Holder of originals: Rare Book Collection. Silver original shelved in the Negative Storage Room.
Contains chiefly letters written by Cope to his family and correspondence between him and Henry Fairfield Osborn, some illustrated or with newspaper clippings attached. Also included are childhood report cards, a few mss. of his poems and essays (1854), a pamphlet by him entitled "The marriage problem" (1888), shipping notices from expedition sites (1881-1884), and a copy of his will.
Cumulative Index/Finding Aids Note
Box 1. Letters, 1846-1875 -- Box 2. Letters, 1876-1888 -- Box 3. Letters, 1889-1897. Cope-Osborn correspondence, 1884-1897. Letters to Cope. Copy of Cope's will.
Type of reproduction--Microfilm.; Place of reproduction--[New York, N.Y. :; Agency responsible for reproduction--American Museum of Natural History: Date of reproduction--1987]. Physical description of reproduction--2 microfilm reels, 35 mm.
- Archives Microfilm
- Cope, E. D. (Edward Drinker), 1840-1897 -- : Correspondence.
- Osborn, Henry Fairfield, 1857-1935 -- : Correspondence.
- Paleontologists -- United States -- Correspondence
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017).