Tibetan butter sculptures and performance photographic slides, 1989.
Tibetan monks from the Gyuto Tantric Monastery making butter sculptures in a month-long butter sculpting project in the AMNH Whitney Memorial Hall of Oceanic Birds. The sculptures depicted a number of figures including Shayamuni Buddha, the five visions of Tsongkhapa, White Tara, 16 offering goddesses of Chakrasamvara, four protector dieties, the seven ornaments of royalty and the mandalas of Guhyasamaja, Vajrabhairava and Chakrasamvara, all embellished with delicate flowers and leaves. Some of the individual sculptures are included in this collection. The Butter Sculpture project was a joint venture of the Gyuto Tantric Monastery, the AMNH and Tibet House/New York.
Restrictions on Access
Please contact Special Collections; materials are sometimes restricted.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box )
46 Photographic Slides
Language of Materials
condition reviewed 20110826 good
Slide numbers 61-1 through 61-46.
Contains many K numbers.
Adam Anik is credited as a photographer.
Previous number includes: K16411
- American Museum of Natural History -- : Photographs -- : Exhibitions -- : 1989
- Museum exhibits -- Photographs
- Photo Studio
- Photographic Slide Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017). Minimal level collection record created with support from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Hidden Collections grant, 2010.
Part of the Museum Archives at the Gottesman Research Library Repository
American Museum of Natural History
200 Central Park West
New York NY 10024 USA