T. Donald Carter field books
Scope and Contents
The collection includes diaries and field notebooks from the 1927-1928 Day Roraima Expedition, the 1931-1932 Legendre Indochina Expedition, and the 1934 Sage West China Expedition, as well as material on the 1946-1947 Rutherford African Expedition. There are also diaries labeled by location and year(s): Costa Rica 1914; Abyssinia 1927-1929; Africa 1938; East Africa 1958; and Ungava, Québec 1953; and some yearly diaries. Carter participated in 27 expeditions in North and South America, Africa, China and Indochina, and collected over 10,000 specimens, mostly mammals and birds, with some reptiles, contributing significantly to the contents of the AMNH exhibit halls for Asia, Africa and North America.
Please contact Special Collections; materials are sometimes restricted.
3 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of field notebooks and bound volumes. The collection includes some fragile materials. Some of the notebooks have red rot.
- T. Donald Carter field books, 1910-1972
- Richard T. Fischer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017). Finding aid created with support from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Hidden Collections grant, 2010.
Part of the Museum Archives at the Gottesman Research Library Repository
American Museum of Natural History
200 Central Park West
New York NY 10024 USA