T. Donald Carter papers
Scope and Contents
The Papers Collection consists of correspondence, manuscripts, articles and reviews, clippings and photocopies relating to Carter's collecting activities for the American Museum of Natural History, and to his interests in the classification of mammals and birds, and bird banding. Correspondence consists primarily of typewritten letters and carbon copies, with some handwritten letters, both sent and received. The collection includes two handwritten signed letters from Ugo Mochi, principal author of the 1971 book, Hooved mammals of the world, for which Carter was coauthor. Other correspondents include Arthur A. Allen, Walter Hoesch, Dean Sage, Jr., William G. Sheldon, John Tee-Van, Walter A. Weber and Edward M. Weyer.
Please contact Special Collections; materials are sometimes restricted.
T. Donald Carter was a zoologist at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH): research assistant 1920- and assistant curator 1944-1960, AMNH Deptartment of Mammalogy. T. Donald Carter played an important role in the development of the Asian, African, and North American Halls. Carter was assistant at the New York Zoological Society, 1913-1916. He served in the U.S. Army during World War I, and spent a year with the Pigeon Service of the Signal Corps. After his retirement in 1960, Carter raised wild ducks and other birds at his 136-acre home in Kinnelon, N.J., near Boonton.
3.25 Linear Feet (7 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Patricia Ammon Kissinger, 1991.
One oversize map was removed from MSS .C375 (Box 1, Folder 11) and placed in an oversize folder with the collection. The map is from the Rutherford Expedition to Africa, 1946.
The collection consists of manuscript materials, including printed and handwritten materials, newspaper clippings, bound volumes, and notebooks. The collection includes some fragile materials.
- Carter, T. Donald (Thomas Donald), 1893 (Person)
- Weyer, Edward Moffat, 1904-1998 (Correspondent, Person)
- Tee-Van, John (Correspondent, Person)
- Weber, Walter A. (Walter Alois), 1906-1979 (Correspondent, Person)
- Sage, Dean, Jr. (Correspondent, Person)
- Sheldon, William G. (Correspondent, Person)
- Allen, Arthur A. (Arthur Augustus), 1885-1964 (Correspondent, Person)
- Hoesch, Walter (Correspondent, Person)
- T. Donald Carter papers, 1916-1971
- Richard Fischer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017). Finding aid created with support from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Hidden Collections grant, 2010.
- Edition statement
- Information for this finding aid expanded on the original catalog record written by Ann Herendeen, 2004.
Part of the Museum Archives at the Gottesman Research Library Repository
American Museum of Natural History
200 Central Park West
New York NY 10024 USA