1955 - 1965
In 1947, the Museum announced a new educational exhibition program, introduced by Director Albert E. Parr, to modernize its halls, in order to present them in a streamlined, story-sequence the national, regional, and global development of man and nature. The Museum tasked itself with the study and teaching of the protection and proper use of natural resources (1, 1946/47, p. 3, 9-11). It was during this time that the Hall of Oil Geology was conceived and installed to tell the story of oil (1, 1957/58, p. 15).
In addition to its oil derrick centerpiece, which was accompanied by sound effects made from recordings of drilling operations, exhibits also included dioramas of oil fields, diagrams, graphs, and charts illustrating the formation of oil from plants and animals, geological methods of searching for oil deposits, and methods of extracting oil from the ground (2, 1956, p. 82).
During its short tenure, exhibits were periodically renovated, revised, and updated (1, 1958/59, p. 54; 1, 1961/62, p. 55). The last mention of the Hall of Oil Geology is in the 1962 or 1963 General Guide, and the space was subsequently used for the new Man in Africa Hall (2, 1962, p. 26-27).
Content negotiation supports the following types: