Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Identifier: Mss .P66
Identifier: Mss .A54
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection consists of Andrews' correspondence, manuscripts, and transcripts of Andrews' broadcasts and talks from 1934 to1944. It also contains one folder of family and biographical documents and newspaper clippings received from Charles Gallenkamp, Andrews' biographer, in 1990. The majority of the administrative papers' correspondence concerns requests for speaking engagements about Andrews' explorations, requests for articles, and letters from the public and from companies...
Identifier: Mss .B88
Scope and Contents This collection contains field notes written by Butler during the 1925 field season (April 11-August 20) of the Third Asiatic Expedition. It also contains a typed diary detailing his experiences in Mongolia and discussing expedition staff members. Correspondences include letters to and from Butler and his wife in Tianjin (Tientsin), China, and official correspondences. Also included are various lectures ("Speech to the Algonquin Club. Boston, Dec. 7, 1926"; "Expedition lecture with lantern...
Identifier: PPC .C446
Scope and Contents Field photographs from the Central Asiatic Expedition. Includes dozens of loose photographs; one container with three oversize panoramic prints.
Identifier: PPC .C4462
Scope and Contents Photographs originally included in an album given to the U.S. Geographic Survey by F.B. Butler. Returned to the AMNH April 1991.
Identifier: Film Collection no. 146
Scope and Contents Filmed during the AMNH Third Asiatic Expedition to China and Mongolia, 1921-1930. The expedition collected zoological specimens throughout Mongolia, but the main collecting was done in the Gobi Desert. This film shows some of the animals that were collected for scientific purposes, as well as those kept as pets. The animals collected includes swans, nightjars, ruddy shelducks, grebes, ducks, gazelles, wild asses, and jerboas. Next are seen the animals "kept" by members of the expedition: an ass...
Identifier: Film Collection no. 147
Scope and Contents Filmed during the AMNH Third Asiatic Expedition to China and Mongolia, 1921-1930. The film records the paleontological finds of the expedition. The most important is shown first: the discovery of the "perfect dozen" nest of dinosaur eggs by George Olsen, paleontologist, at the Flaming Cliffs of Shabarakh Usu in the Gobi Desert. Bones of Baluchitherium, one of the largest land mammals, a hornless relative of today's rhinoceros, and Embolitherium, an Oligocene mammal, are also seen being...
Identifier: Film Collection no. 148
Scope and Contents Filmed during the AMNH Third Asiatic Expedition to China and Mongolia, 1921-1930. The film opens with animated maps tracing the routes of the expeditions. Members of the expedition staff are introduced as they work in the field: Roy Chapman Andrews, leader; Walter Granger, chief paleontologist; Albert Thomson, assistant paleontologist; Leslie Erskine Spock, geologist; Alonzo W. Pond, archaeologist; and Captain W. P. T. Hill, topographer. The next segment shows the problems the expedition...
Identifier: Film Collection no. 150
Scope and Contents Filmed during the AMNH Third Asiatic Expedition to China and Mongolia, 1921-1930. Film brought from the U.S. was intended for recording the expedition, but some precious film was used to photograph Peking (now Beijing), the site of the expedition's headquarters. Because of the need to conserve film, this film is choppy, but provides a record of the city in the 1920s. The varied modes of transport are shown: trolleys, ox carts, sedan chairs, rickshaws, camels, wheelbarrows, horsedrawn carriages,...
Identifier: PSC 164
Abstract Photographic copy slides made from the original hand-colored lantern slides. Field photographs from the Central Asiatic Expeditions (1921-1930). Images of Mongolian people and landscape, fossil beds where dinosaur eggs were found and scenes from traveling on land. Places include Mongolia, Tibet, China and Gobi Desert.
- Names: Central Asiatic Expeditions (1921-1930) X
- Scientific expeditions -- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 8
- Manuscript Collection 6
- Film Collection 5
- Moving Images 5
- Archives Microfilm 3
- Paleontologists -- Correspondence 3
- Scientific expeditions -- Asia, Central 3
- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) -- Description and travel 2
- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) -- Discovery and exploration. 2
- Mongolia -- Description and travel 2
- Mongolia -- Discovery and exploration. 2
- Paleontology -- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 2
- Photographic Print Collection 2
- Scientific expeditions -- Mongolia 2
- Anthropologists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Archaeologists -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- Art Survey 1
- Asia, Central -- Discovery and exploration. 1
- Beijing (China) -- Description and travel 1
- Cartography -- Mongolia -- History -- 20th century 1
- Construction 1
- Department Records 1
- Extinct mammals -- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 1
- Geology -- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 1
- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 1
- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) –- Discovery and exploration 1
- Khalkha (Mongolian people) 1
- Mammals -- China -- Fujian Sheng -- Catalogs and collections. 1
- Mongolia -- Antiquities 1
- Mongols -- Dwellings 1
- Museum publications 1
- Natural history -- Asia, Central. 1
- Natural history -- China 1
- Natural history -- Mongolia 1
- Neolithic period -- Mongolia 1
- Paleontology -- China. 1
- Paleontology -- Mongolia. 1
- Photographic Slide Collection 1
- Publications 1
- Scientific expeditions 1
- Scientific expeditions -- China 1
- Scientific expeditions -- Mongolia. 1
- Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia) -- Description and travel 1
- Vertebrates, Fossil -- Gobi Desert (Mongolia and China) 1
- Yurts -- Mongolia 1 ∧ less