Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Identifier: Art Survey No. 178
Scope and Contents Round relief with head and shoulders facing left. Curator of Mammalogy and Ornithology 1885-1921. Inscription: On front "J.A. Allen". Frame: Wood frame.
Condition Good (1).
Condition Good (1).
Identifier: Archives Orn196
Scope and Contents Correspondence created with the use of letter copying book.
Found in: Department of Ornithology Archives
Identifier: Mss .A451-.A452
Identifier: Mss .L39
Scope and Contents The George Newbold Lawrence Correspondence collection consists almost completely of handwritten, signed letters received by Lawrence from other ornithologists and naturalists from the United States and Europe discussing the classification of birds and the exchange of bird skins. Some of the folders contain drafts or copies of Lawrence's replies. While there is a small number of official letters from institutions, almost all of the letters are from individuals. In addition to 228 documents from...
Identifier: Mss .M43
Scope and Contents The collection consists entirely of photocopies of handwritten letters. The first letter, dated May 17, 1883, is from Albert S. Bickmore, founder and superintendent of the AMNH, concerning Mearns's proposed donation of a collection of birds. The second letter is from curator J.A. Allen, discussing details of the specimens. Other correspondents include James P. Chapin, Frank M. Chapman, L.P. Gratacap, C. Hart Merriam, Jenness Richardson and Anthony Woodward.
Identifier: PPC .N87
Scope and Contents Portraits of scientits that were used in the following publications: Origins and Development of North American Avian Biogeography, p. 392; Contributions to the History of North American Ornithology, pp.387-428.
- Names: Allen, J. A. (Joel Asaph), 1838-1921 X
- Research Library Special Collections 5
- Department of Ornithology Archives 1
- Manuscript Collection 3
- Ornithologists -- United States -- Correspondence 3
- Birds -- Classification 2
- Birds -- Collection and preservation 2
- Zoologists -- United States -- Correspondence 2
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Ornithology. Archives. 1
- Art Survey 1
- Birds -- Catalogs and collections -- New York (State) -- New York. 1
- Game protection -- United States 1
- Hunting -- United States -- Public opinion 1
- Hunting guns 1
- Mammals -- Classification 1
- Mammals -- Collection and preservation 1
- Natural history museum curators -- Correspondence 1
- Naturalists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Ornithology -- United States 1
- Photographic Print Collection 1
- Scientific expeditions -- Russia (Federation) -- Siberia 1 ∧ less