1954 January 14 - 1954 February 14
The Transparent Woman was a life-size plastic model of a woman, which showed an x-ray view of major anatomical systems, organs, and bones. Made in Cologne, Germany and presented by the Oberlander Trust to the American Museum of Health in New York City, the model was part of a group of material transferred from the American Museum of Health to the American Museum of Natural History. It was exhibited with a companion male figure at the New York World's Fair in 1939 and afterwards in museums in Cleveland and Dallas. The model was later placed in the Hall of the Biology of Man, which was under construction at the time of the Transparent Woman exhibition (1, p. 1-2).
A Museum press release dated January 14, 1954 describes the model:
"Encased in a body of clear acrylic...are a skeleton of case aluminum, complicated networks of colored wires representing the blood, lymphatic and nervous systems, and plastic reproductions of the intestines, heart, lungs and other major organs. Complex electrical wiring will light up various organs...sequence beginning with the brain and working downward."
"During this sequence the model will slowly revolve on her pedestal, making it possible for Museum visitors to view her from all sides. Light bulbs on a panel to the left of the display will be electrically synchronized with the model. As each section of her body lights, a bulb will flash on indicating the name of that anatomical part (1, p. 1-2)."
This is a condensed summary of the exhibition. For additional information, see Sources and/or Related Resources.
Content negotiation supports the following types: