Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 27
Drawn from nature Minnies Land, Mus rattus et varietates. Four individuals devouring five eggs in nest of straw on floor of barn. Inscription: LR "Drawn from nature/Minnie's Land" On back "Common Black Rat. Original painting by John James Audubon. For the N.Y. Zool. Soc. from Maria R. & Florence Audubon under cond. of will" LR "American Black Rat/Musrattus et varietates" LL "1105 Plate 26." Frame: Brown and black wood, plexi-glazed.
Summer, Lepus Americanus. Two individuals running to left. Upper hare above and to left of smaller one. No background. Inscription: LL "Lepus Americanus 3 Oct. 1841/from Sara Cummings of Pittsfield (N.Y.? or N.H.)" LR "Young drawn Oct. 12, 1841." Frame: Dark brown wood, matted, glazed.
New York Lepus Americanus. One individual crouched on ground, facing left. Background blue sky. Inscription: "N. York" UL "No. 3" LC "Lepus Americanus. "Frame: Gilted wood with ?, matted, glazed.
Felis Canadensis. One individual facing left, crouching on bare log. No background. Inscription: Label on back "Canada Lynx - original by J.J. Audubon - 1848" MC "Canada Lynx/felis Canadensis." Frame: Gold wood frame, matted, glazed 2 1/2 wide.
One individual climbing thin, bare tree facing left. Frame: Brown frame, matted, glazed, 1 3/4 wide.
Depicts a wildcat walking to left on bare brown ground, snarling. Felis Lynx rutus. Light blue hills in background. Inscription: On label pasted to back "Original watercolor of the Common American Wildcat by John James Audubon about 1843 or earlier/M.R. Audubon". Gold wood frame, matted, glazed, 2 13/16 wide.
One individual perched, facing left, looking down on bare branch. No background. Columbia passerina. Frame: Brown wood frame, matted, glazed, 1 1/2 wide, Framed with 3 other J.J. Audubon birds.
Correspondence, complete copies of "Birds of America left in the world today" A-Z (4 boxes), publications, clippings, articles, exhibit records and catalogs, "Birds of America" card catalogs, biographical information, administrative records including AMNH holdings, Loan information, Appraisals, condition reports, Photographs, manuscripts, CD's, and research notes.
Vancouver Red Squirrel, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus. Two individuals on upper and lower branches of crotch in tree, sprig of dead leaves and lichen. Inscription: LCenter "Downy Squirrel/Sciurus Canjinosas Bachman" LL "Fort Simpson/N.W. Coast of A./Nov 1835/from Capt W Brotchic" LR "Fort Simpson/N.W. Coast of America/1835/from W. Brotchic" UR "No. 5 Plate 25/No. 5. Pl. 25." Frame: Brown frame, matted, glazed, 11/16 wide.
- Names: Audubon, John James, 1785-1851 X
- Research Library Special Collections 25
- Department of Ornithology Archives 2
- Art Survey 22
- Mammals 14
- Birds 7
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Ornithology. Archives. 2
- Photographic Slide Collection 2
- Exhibitions 1
- Mammals -- North America. 1
- Manuscript Collection 1
- Missouri River -- Pictorial works 1
- Naturalists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Ornithologists -- United States -- Correspondence 1 ∧ less
- English 26
- American Museum of Natural History 3
- American Museum of Natural History. Department of Ornithology 2
- American Museum of Natural History. Photo Studio 2
- Audubon, Maria R. (Maria Rebecca), 1843-1925 2
- Grinnell, George Bird, 1849-1938 2
- Audubon 1
- Audubon, Florence 1
- Audubon, M. Eliza (Mary Eliza) 1
- Chapman, Frank M. (Frank Michler), 1864-1945 1
- Gilliard, E. Thomas (Ernest Thomas), 1912-1965 1
- John James Audubon: Science into Art (Exhibition) 1
- Lincoln, Thomas, 1812-1883 1
- Sprague, Isaac, 1811-1895 1
- Thayer, John Eliot, 1862- 1 ∧ less