- MacDougall, Thomas (Person)
Explorer and naturalist; collected flora and fauna specimens from Mexico for museums, universities and pharmaceutical companies. Donated some of his best specimens to the American Museum of Natural History.
22 boxes (22 boxes ; 32 x 27 x 7 cm.)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Emanuel Shemin (MacDougall's executor). Method of acquisition--gift; Date of acquisition--1974..
Location of Originals Note
Indicator 1 Holder of originals: Special Collections. Silver original shelved in the Negative Storage Room.
Holograph and typescripts, photos.
Diaries, notebooks, correspondence (including 130 letters between MacDougall and George Goodwin), lists of specimens, published and draft articles, photographs, transparencies, slides, and newspaper clippings mostly in Spanish. Deal primarily with MacDougall's exploration activities and observations in Mexico, especially in the Oaxaca-Chiapas region, where he collected great quantities of animal and plant specimens, as well as some archaeological materials. The collection also includes notes on the life and customs of the Chontal Indians.
Type of reproduction--Microfilm.; Place of reproduction--[New York, N.Y. :; Agency responsible for reproduction--American Museum of Natural History: Date of reproduction--1987]. Physical description of reproduction--22 microfilm reels, 35 mm.
- Archives Microfilm
- Chiapas (Mexico) -- Antiquities
- Chontal Indians -- Social life and customs.
- Goodwin, George Gilbert
- Indians of Mexico -- Mexico -- Chiapas -- Antiquities.
- Indians of Mexico -- Mexico -- Oaxaca (State) -- Antiquities.
- Mexico -- Antiquities.
- Mexico -- Description and travel.
- Natural history -- Mexico.
- Oaxaca (Mexico : State) -- Antiquities
- Scientific expeditions -- Mexico.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation provided support to make this finding aid available in ArchivesSpace (2016-2017).
Part of the Museum Archives at the Gottesman Research Library Repository
American Museum of Natural History
200 Central Park West
New York NY 10024 USA